Monday, October 21, 2013

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

I still have nagging aches and pains. Right foot issues. Left hip issues. I've been taking it easier all year and the plan calls for more of the same. No racing. But boy do I miss having a goal, something to think about other than work. The family time is great. I only run long-ish (90min currently) every other week. The odd week is a one hour run, short hill/power whatever kind of workout. I also run a couple days at lunch, between 3 and 4 miles. It's been easy to talk myself out of hunting for races until I saw this today:
Granted these two segments are short, so if I needed further evidence, well there's always this (trail runs greater than 8 miles since March, the foot injury taking place on March 30, hip flaring up June 1):
Okay, so the facts kind of call bullsh-t on the whole "my fitness is too far away to even consider a race" excuse. True I feel it is legitimate to say I don't have ultramarathon-like durability currently, and I can't even wrap my head around the thought of a painful 5k, but it's starting to look like I'm not an overweight, crippled, has-been either.

So do I stick to the "no racing" or do I find something, albeit "the right thing"? I still have occasional numbness in my left butt cheek, hip area. I (finally) got a foam roller and have been rolling the hell out of the piriformis and IT Band (you might have heard the screams). First thing in the morning I walk down the steps like an old man. I have a nearly impossible time finding shoes which feel comfortable on both feet. Is this just how it's going to be, and does it really matter? I can still do (almost) everything I choose. Sitting in a chair and/or sitting behind the wheel of a car are the worst experiences going. I have actually started standing in meetings. Once warmed up, I'm pretty "diesel-like" these days so warm-ups matter and they take longer, but after that I can crank it pretty well. And all while carrying 10lbs more than my Ironman race weight.

And on the flip side, work has been occupying too much of my brain lately. Who knew counting golf balls could be so stresssful. And you know what, that's the problem! They're friggin' golf balls, and people behave like we're handling cruise missiles! So yes, some stress relief is in order, but racing is not the only way, it's just always been my way.

So what's a fella to do? Do I stick with the original plan or do I try and find a race to run (you know if I don't do well I'll get all moody and grumpy moodier and grumpier)?