Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Rev3 Quassy, 2012

So the question to which you all MUST know the answer: "Did I have fun?" Yes. Yes, but. Yes but I could have had more fun. Yes but I could have had more fun had I been more fit (wouldn't have hurt so much/I would have gone faster) or if I truly knew how to not care about how I'm doing relative to others.

Here's the thing, I am very happy with the race. I know with 100% certainty that I had nothing more to give. The race was executed as tightly as any race I've done. Sure I could have swam faster, but something else may well have given. It was what I call a zero sum race: put any more into any discipline and the others suffer.

But...5hrs is my 2nd slowest 1/2 Ironman ever. My slowest was my first in 2001. But...this was a brutal course. But...I finished 3rd in my age group. But...I'm still a person who struggles to get out of his own head. Fortunately it turns out more things than just racing can help fulfill the goal of having fun!

Here's what I came to realize on Sunday. When goals are only performance/results based, all the pressure is put on the act of racing. When the goal is something else, like "Have fun", the race is just a component of it as there are other things that can contribute. Much more opportunity for success! Sunday at Quassy was one of the best days I've had in a long time. It started with the realization that one thing I truly LOVE about these events is seeing people I really like; people I haven't seen in almost a year. Every time I turned around there was Charlie Abrahams with a camera in my face or saying something encouraging, or even helping me put my Gene Simmons edition NormaTec recovery boots on! And there was Sean Walter. And there was Rick Brown. And there was Andrew Kallfelz. And Doug MacLean. And other QT2ers. And more than a couple former rowers in attendance (Charlie, Andrew, Doug, and another stud Chris Schulten)!

And then there was family time at the amusement park. Yes Quassy is a place pretty much designed for kids my age and their young'uns. We rode rides. Dylan lost a crock inside of the Free Fall ride (they had to shut it down to find it!). We got rained on. We had good family fun, and we did it all for almost nothing because the Rev3 provided athletes with free passes to the park!

It was a great day.