Sunday, December 05, 2010

IMCDA Training week 1

I just completed my last workout of the first week of training. Only 29 more weeks to go! Already a pattern is developing. You know how I said I think I'm going to set a new record for "I can't do this"? Well I may set that record by New Years! As promised this journal is not going to be all "this was awesome...so motivated...super excited!!!"

Yesterday was a very light day on the schedule. In fact the only real thing to do was get a baseline 400yd TT time in the pool, and a 20min easy recovery effort run later on. I was sort of excited to do the swim because I wanted to see that number I'd hit a couple of times the previous month: 5:30. Not because that number is very good, but because it's the best I've ever done in my life and represents a time 50sec faster than I've ever done at the beginning of Ironman training. Well long story short I only went 5:44. I'll not bore you with the reasons why, legitimate or not. Bottom line I came up short...and I ended up with a King Kong sized hair across my ass for the rest of the day because of it. In fact I passed on the run, but not because I'm lazy. In the back of my head I knew I'd run it waaaay too hard because I was in such a pissy mood. I lost count of all the "F--- I'm never going to improve. I'm kidding myself if I think I can break 10hrs" that passed through my head yesterday. Forget that I still posted my best time ever for the beginning of training. Forget that 10hrs is really going to be a function of hacking time off my bike, not squeaking time off of my swim. No, none of that mattered. I wasn't even sure I wanted to keep training. All kinds of crazy ideas went through my head. But somewhere in all that mental chaos, a little common sense kicked in. Forget training for the rest of the day. Get the X-mas tree. Decorate the house with the family. Knock back a drink or two. Watch a bad movie.

Today I was back, but on my bike trainer for 2 hours...and I crushed it. Not from a total power standpoint, but rather from the standpoint of power given my prescribed heart zone (15watts better than I had been posting all week). And the legs felt great. So yes, I'm not quitting. I'm really lucky Leanna gets me with regards to this. I'm positive I was testing her patience yesterday, and probably early today. She knows it's all part of the process: doubt, despair, and then HTFU you pansy. I'd like to say there won't be any more of these, but the truth is there are likely to be plenty. As long as they all end with a power jump on my bike...I guess I can deal!

Have a good weekend.