Sunday, May 09, 2010

Exercise judgement

Part of being a successful endurance athlete is displaying sound judgement when it comes to your racing, training, and of course family life. Today was one of those days. The designed workout was a 3hr or so ride in Connecticut hills, almost no flats just up or down, followed by a 4.5 mile T-run with the final mile hard. I was looking to recapture that feeling of draining the legs, and then really burying the finish of the run just as I like to do on race day. I rolled out at 5:45am. It was a little cool, and it was windy. However I had determined early in the week that I would ride well today, and I did not disappoint. Despite the crazy tree pollen I did the best climbing I've done in a long time. I had all the techniques going: seated, standing, mixed, high rpm, jamming on the sprinter's climbs. It's really nice doing these types of rides with my body weight down at 154.

As I hit the third from last climb of the day I checked my time. I was doing well. In fact I felt that I had earned a reward. Instead of the designed T-run, I would take advantage of my early return time and do a T-Shop instead! You see while I have gotten much better about getting the actual gifts on gift giving occasions, I still suck at remembering the other things that make the thought complete, like a card. So when I hit home I did a quick change into street clothes, grabbed the keys, and T-Shopped instead of T-Ran. In the end I felt much happier about my day (I also threw in a gift card because I felt guilty about riding at all on Mother's day!)

47 miles, a lot of vertical feet, a greeting card, and an LL Bean gift card all before 9:00am; now that's a good day!

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mommies.