Sunday, May 16, 2010

3 weeks to go...but no goals

Okay, that's not entirely true. My goal for my first and next to last race of the year is to be smooth and strong, execute well, and finish fast and smiling. I'm just not sweat'n my place in the overall or age group, because frankly I'm sure there are lots of fellow competitors putting in more work than I. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an out of shape bum who's going to clog the course with my big, hairy butt on a $10K bike. No I'm the skinny guy who will beat down the poseurs but probably be bested by those who take this stuff seriously. You see this year is my "off year." I'm keeping myself good but not stressing great. I'm focusing on fit and healthy, not just fit and trying to add a little strength and speed while I'm at it. Next year when I focus on Kona qualifying again, I'll make sure to beat down all comers.

So today I rode over distance and truth be known a little hard for a 72 mile ride. However, I held my paces the whole way, though my legs did crack in the last 10 miles. My lap times were about 30-45 sec per lap slower than two weeks ago, likely a combination of some wind from a difficult direction, tired legs because of the power work I focused on this last week, and poor nutrition...hell virtually non-existent nutrition; nothing like opening the cupboard the night before a ride and finding you are flat out of drink mix. By my calculation, the loss of my legs and cramping was due to the nutrition, the slowness the wind and work. Nonetheless I sit here feeling pretty good. Legs are tired, but not so tired that I can't run tomorrow. Oh and before I forget I did lay down a 5:48 T-run first mile after I dragged my sorry butt back in from the ride, so all in all I'll take it.

Next week I'm planning on the same ride, but with a longer T-run (42 minutes) after the ride. Pacing and nutrition will be what I plan to do at Mooseman which is what I did last year. The Mooseman course is much tougher this year so we'll see how I do. I'll append my Garmin data to this post later on, though there is no heart data as the strap battery died about 20 minutes in. I sort of expected that after the last couple of rides.