Saturday, April 24, 2010

Perspective

It's a funny thing, but the longer you do these things, the more "normal" becomes redefined. No I'm not talking about what other people view as normal (that shipped sailed LONG ago!), but what I view as normal. Today I logged 54 miles on the bike followed immediately by a 6 mile run. There was some breeze blowing so it was some work. And it was my longest workout of the year. There was a time when I would have considered this a HUGE workout, but today it seemed, if not short, at least not overly long. Very manageable. And while I definitely feel the effort, I also carried on with my normal weekend life (mow the lawn, go to BJs, etc...). Okay, the kids are with Grandma and Grandpa so it's not an entirely normal weekend. The point is, as much as kicking back and watching TV or taking a nap would definitely have been nice, it wasn't necessary. I just kept in motion and went about my day.

I consider my QT2 friends very normal, albeit in a very focused and disciplined way. I get it. I've done it. I'll do it again next year. I envy those going to Utah next week. I'm extremely excited to race Mooseman and then VOLUNTEER (!) at Lake Placid (also racing Pumpkinman). At first I planned to volunteer to help get a spot in next year's race, but I'm really starting to get jazzed for it. I've never had the opportunity to see that race through the eyes of the spectators. So many people who have seen it have said so many things about how it moved them, motivated them, etc... I'm excited to experience that too. That too is a new perspective, a new normal.

The last few years I've only raced two or three times a year (thus my lack of a USA Triathlon ranking), yet I consider myself a fairly serious athlete. People will ask me if I'm training for something, and while in a sense I am (hey IM Lake Placid 2011!), more and more the answer is no, I'm not training for anything in particular. I'm just doing this (training @5:00am) because that's what I do. It's normal to me.

Here are today's numbers. Tim would likely be horrified about how far above Z1 I've been training, but I'm just fooling around anyway! It's fun. I use my first lap as my pace lap and then set out to better that time on each subsequent lap. If I go out a bit hard like today (I haven't been on the road in 2 weeks so I was full of piss and vinegar), well it's going to be a hard day in the saddle because damn if I'll let the splits fade. (The laps were 52:02, 51:45, 51:38...the "plan" had been to average 54...whoops!)

Sandy Point Ride (3 laps)

Indian Ave to 2nd Beach T-Run