Friday, March 26, 2010

Unexpected byproduct of parenthood

I never thought parenthood would have precisely the effect on me that it has. Sure I knew it would be life changing, but I never imagined it would be responsible for me sitting here watching "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" and getting really upset. The state of school "hot lunch" is beyond appalling. Alexandra doesn't eat it. Alexandra doesn't want to eat it. That makes me very happy. Other kids do eat it and want to eat it, and that upsets me. People just don't know, they don't understand. A few weeks back I was in CVS picking up some scripts for Leanna and a very obese person sat on (by "on" I mean on top of because she couldn't sit "in", between the armrests) the chair. I turned and my haw dropped. She couldn't have been more than 12. It really upsets me. Before being a parent I would have been disgusted. Now I just want to help make it better.

I'm so proud of my kids because they seem to be getting the message. Dylan likes his sweets a bit too much, but they love fruit. They insist on yogurt. They love raw carrots. They eat fish and don't really like fries. They avoid "brown" food. Color is great. More Strawberries and Blueberries!! They love running and playing outside. Alexandra keeps asking me when she will be old enough to run with me. We already run together at the track.

Today I got one of the best things I've ever read in my whole life. It was on Alexandra's report card: "Alexandra has blossomed into a lovely young lady and a confident learner...Alexandra has become a wonderful multiage role model!"