Saturday, February 20, 2010

Two out of three ain't bad

Let me share an e-mail conversation with Tim following my near miss in Lake Placid:

> On Jul 31, 2009, at 10:47 PM, "Joel"
> wrote:
>
>> I'm fine. Still bummed. Based on a deal I had with Leanna I'm not
>> racing a full distance event next year, so I'm going to be stewing
>> over the 105 seconds for 2 years. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy
>> with my race. It's just that sometimes Lady Luck is a cruel mistress.
>>
>> So in reaction to all that has gone on, I might end up getting a new
>> job, moving, and buying a minivan.

> From: Tim
> Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:21 AM
> To: Joel
> Subject: Re: Got your text
>
> Moving? Where?
> A new job?

From: Tim
Date: Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: Got your text
To: Joel

All because of 105 seconds?


I went on to explain that it wasn't the 105 seconds that were the cause, more that they underscored a number of issues in my life that had been festering for a while and needed to be resolved. If you follow the blog, you know I bought the minivan a few weeks after this conversation with Tim. And as of yesterday I have a new job. Yes I'm done w/Brown and am moving on. I'm likely starting March 15th. In the end it's nothing I even had to think about. I need to take care of my family and my new job allows me to do so. Finally, taking this job means I'll remain a resident of Rhode Island a while longer, so no move for now. I'm good with that. Yes there are a lot of things that bother me, like the availability of quality healthcare, but Boston is not all that far away, and there is the ocean. Don't underestimate how important this is to me and my family. Remember my post "Come run with me" ?

So now that I no longer have to worry about the job, at least for a little while :-) , I have a new problem: I need to find a new pool!

----------
From: Joel
Date: Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: Got your text
To: Tim
I was very frustrated on race day because I knew I was going to be below my potential. That said I am very satisfied with my race. Given all that went on in the weeks leading up to race day, I had my best Ironman ever even in terms of execution. And I did so with family on site which hopefully will end the perception for me and them that they are a draw down on my energy.

So again, I'm not making all of these changes because of the 105 seconds. These are changes that really need to be made anyway, at least the job change is. The 105 seconds is just a bitter reminder of this fact.


Kona 2011. You heard it here first.