Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What a day!

Yesterday was one of those days athletes long for. Funny it didn't seem like that was going to be the case; Leanna was sick and Dylan had an appointment to get his hearing checked, so I had to call off from work on short notice. (Dylan's been having some difficulties hearing, but the Dr. gave us a protocol to follow to potentially help the "mechanical" function of the ear drum.) However, both kids were in school in the morning, I was picking up Dylan at 1:00pm for his appointment, and Leanna was doing okay at home. I was able to mostly juggle my work duties to other days, and handle anything I couldn't juggle with phone calls. This created the really unexpected circumstance of completely available, guilt free training time.

I can't tell you how long it has been since I had a session like this. In early January I had a "transcendent" training experience when I finally got my body moving and pulse elevated after illness. That experience was very primal. It stimulated those low level, animal instinctual, deep recesses of the body and soul. Yesterday it was the high brain functions that got some love. I was powerful and smooth on the bike. My run was fast, smooth and effortless. Despite hitting some really respectable paces on the 1st mile of the run (5:12max, 5:38avg), my heart never cracked 160bpm. That never happens. My paces were comparable with late May early June of last year. It felt sooooo great. I understand that it is unlikely to happen again soon, because physically I doubt I've "popped" yet this year (usually happens in early-mid March), but I'll take it. Focus is still on doing the right activities at the right intensities and being consistent. The goods will be there when I need them. However this sneak peek was very welcome.

These successes really carry over to the rest of my life. By making gains in one area of my life, in this case athletics, I can devote more energy to to others. I've been very calm today, despite craziness at work. And because the calm allows me to not be self-absorbed, I was attentive when Dylan said for the first time in 2 months, "Daddy, that (coffee grinder) is really loud!" I almost cried.