Thursday, January 14, 2010

Spirituality made easy

Wow, already 11 days since I last posted. I've had so many ideas in the interim, but of course now that I have time I'm drawing a blank, well almost a blank. Let's call it a sort of off-white, perhaps bone colored mental state.

I've considered spending a little time on how I arrived at my current state of spirituality and belief, but I'm not in the mood. It means reliving my childhood (son of a minister) and high school and who really wants to do that again! Instead we'll proceed from the end. I've come to believe that in essence all human behavior can be categorized in one of two buckets: You're being a d-bag or you're not being a d-bag. In fact I'm almost positive during the sermon on the mount Jesus said, "blessed are the meek because they aren't d-bags." Look it up...really! Yeah I could be wrong about the exact wording (my people were in the back row, so it was hard to hear), but that's kind of the gist of it. This concept of not being a d-bag also transcends all religion. It's really the core principal of all faith. Don't be a d-bag. If we'd all just focus on that, and worry less about the minutia, the world would be a better, happier place.

So there you have it. Deep isn't it! Well what did you expect? Faith/spirituality is not supposed to be difficult. Human beings have an infinite capacity for overcomplicating things. So I submit this simple thought: Don't be a d-bag.

Amen.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Everytime you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." - Mother Teresa

"We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection." - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama:

"A man's true wealth here after is the good he does in this world to his fellow man." - Muhammad

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." - Mohandas Gandhi

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." - Buddha

"Be excellent to each other." Bill S. Preston, Esq.