Sunday, January 03, 2010

I'm not sure of much...

...but I'm sure that living things can transfer "energy" to each other. Call it what you want, but moods, attitudes, overall outlook on life...this stuff is infectious. Consider kids: they are living breathing receivers of your energy. Yell at them during a tantrum and tell me what happens. "The beatings will continue until morale improves!" So in an effort to improve myself, I made resolutions with my daughter (Dylan got a pass because he's only 3 and doesn't really understand the concept yet). I promised not to yell if she promised to always tell me the truth (this has been a real issue since school started). 3 days in, so far so good. My mood has held fairly constant, and the kids have not melted down. Yes it is working. But it's not easy, and as someone who is chronically sleep deprived it can take real discipline to hold it together, especially when the kids are in moods (and as a 3yr old boy Dylan is ALWAYS in a mood). I'm thus thankful in lesser part for the discipline I've developed through sport, and in a greater part for those relationships which have arisen over time. Friends continually "lend" me positive energy when mine wanes, whether they know it or not! And folks, I borrowed LOTS in 2009! I strive to return this favor in 2010 and beyond.

"Do not let circumstances influence your thoughts and moods. By rising over them mentally, you will eventually rise over them materially."

"Positive energy breeds positive energy"

"Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth."
- The Dhammapada