Saturday, October 03, 2009

It's that time of year again...

This is the time of year, every year, when the inner geek in me resurfaces. Yeah, I know, as opposed to the outer geek which is present all year long! Anyway, in the spirit of Roger Bannister I use myself as my own human subject. Maybe this is part of the "secret" to my endurance; I never really stop training, I just change it up so it feels more like play than training.

The last few years I've spent off-season time tweaking bike position, especially the front end of my bike. Of course to test any change you have to ride a little, so... This year I'm focusing on some aspects unrelated to my bike, though I do have one bike related change in the works as well. For a six week period, which started last Sunday, I'm going to do a very specific set of workouts and see how I can change my current fitness. The baseline run will be last Saturday's run around Sachuest. My workouts will be more about repetition and less about duration: 5 days per week totaling no more than 3 hrs. Also there will be only 3 runs and 2 bikes. This is extremely light compared to what I've handled in the past, and thus will be very manageable.

As well as retesting around Sachuest, at the conclusion of the test I also plan to take whatever fitness I have and put it to the test in competition. There's a 5k near my house in early November as well as an 8k steeplechase a week later. The 5k will probably provide more accurate results because the technical nature of steeplechase adds too many variables. Anyway you slice it, though, should be fun. Stay tuned for the updates.