Friday, March 13, 2009

I actually have been training

So today I had a threshold test on my bike. Basically the idea is to get a sense of that point of exertion where your body begins more lactate than it can clear. Without going into the details of the whole test protocol, you end up with a graph of HR against power. It gives you an idea of performance potential and current fitness. It hurts. It really hurts, but thankfully not for that long because once you can't maintain your pedal cadence, you're done. I did this a year ago so had some data against which to compare my current fitness level. I tested out 15 watts @ threshold better than last March.

The bottom line is I'm ahead of where I was last year, which of course is expected because I have 11 weeks of riding under my belt. But it's been really boring base level riding, not the build phase workouts I did last year. Those start in 10 days or so, and it'll be interesting to see how I progress once the build starts. My guess is that I'm about where I was the week or two before Mooseman last year (early June 2008). Combine that with my swimming which is also at least as good as it was at Mooseman, and so far so good. True my running is a bit behind where it was last year. I'm not training for the Boston Marathon and thus have far fewer miles in. However I'm not that far behind. All things considered I think I'm doing pretty well. We'll be getting in either some test running miles or a 10k in the next week or two, so it should be pretty clear where I stand at that point.