Sunday, February 08, 2009

This and that

I watched a interesting, albeit violent, movie yesterday. It's called "Green Street Hooligans," aka Frodo Baggins gets liquored up and gets his nasty on. It was so different from what I usually watch, I wasn't really sure if I liked it, but I keep thinking about it. If you're okay with A LOT of street fighting, it's worth renting.

I've been training regularly but am really missing that feeling of being an athlete. Life has been encroaching on things a bit too frequently. I'm running a 10k in Hyannis in the 22nd and hope to get things headed in the right direction at that time.

I spent the weekend in NYC at my brother-in-law's new apartment. It's in Washington Heights right next to the entrance of Fort Tryon Park. I got a run in in the park. Lots of up and down...up and down. We went to see the New York Philharmonic last: Masur, Mutter, and Mendelssohn. Following the show we dined at Compass, across from ESPN anchor Chris Fowler (we also think we spotted Larry David in the audience at the Avery Fisher Hall in the Lincoln Center). And we got to spend time with Max, a 104lb Akita mix. Max scares lots of people, but not me and not Leanna. He reminded us of Otis in an odd way. We got along great as I did my best Cesar Millan "calm assertive" thing.

You know it's all about the energy. Sometimes it's really hard to bring the positive, but it just has to happen or things go down the crapper in a hurry. Here's hoping the kids finally get well and February turns out to be less challenging than January.