Friday, February 27, 2009

Finally healthy

Seems like I've been fighting one bug or another since Christmas. I had a few good weeks in January, but Feb. has been dismal. Not once, but twice I've been running a fever of ~101. It's been 15 years since this has happened. Of course I know why, and it's really tied to my immune system being suppressed due to a lack of sleep. My last down days came after a three day period where I averaged only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. Add in working 2 jobs, training, and oh crap that's right I have 2 kids...

Nonetheless I am getting life back on track. I raced a 10k, okay, participated in a 10k on Sunday. I was only 48hrs removed from running that 101 fever. Yes, I'll finally admit that running the race was probably not a smart choice, especially as I was also dealing with bronchitis. But run I did, and even putting in a sub-par performance it still had the one positive effect I REALLY needed; it got me to refocus on my training (including adequate rest for recovery). I've now put down my best training week of Feb (maybe of the year) and at last my lungs are clearing. The sinuses should also be back up to speed by the end of the weekend.

And despite all this, I think I have improved as a triathlete this winter. My swimming is on track, my biking is much further along than it usually is in Feb., and though my running is behind where it normally is, it's not far behind and net I'm better. New for this year was a lifting program. I now have leg muscles (albeit skinny ones)! I have some arm and back muscles too (yes...skinny too). Now I need to train diligently so I can take advantage of my greater power potential.

Well it's bed time now. No days off for while, so I need to sleep. Good night.

PS: I finished the "10k" (it was 6.38 miles, actually, follow this link to see my race) in 10th place overall, and avg'd 6:17 per mile.