Friday, January 02, 2009

16 days

That's how long I'll have been off from work. It's the longest I've been out of work for, well I don't remember. I've spent all of it with my family and it has been a wonderful experience. I've actually lost track of the days of the week. Sure there's been shouting and arguing, but there's also been playing and bonding and everything you hope for. It's typical for time off to make me restless and thinking about changing my life and most usually my job. Not this time. Sure this job has many warts, but what job doesn't? I'm home every night. I see them every morning. I ward off monsters and dig tunnels in snow drifts. And I get to teach them good life habits. How many kids, who are aware of the existence of candy, fight over a granola bar for a special treat. I'm very proud of how they're developing (big props to Leanna here as well). Sure I could make quite a bit more money elsewhere, but is money everything? Yes it really helps with quite a few things, but if you have to make a choice, put a dollar value on more than 1/2 a month of break without using a single day of vacation. With the kids being 4 3/4 and 2 1/2 the time is priceless. It is cliche, but they're only this age once and only for a very short period of time. Odds are I'll have time later on in life to apply myself professionally if I so choose. For now I'll hang with the kids.