Sunday, September 14, 2008

Zoooom (part 2)...

Daddy's still got some speed too. I haven't trained more than 4 days in a week since Lake Placid, and no more than 3 runs in a week. No runs longer than 6 miles. A glass or two of wine almost every night. Sure the workouts I have done have been focused on maintaining leg strength (hills) and lactate threshold(intervals/tempo), but I haven't put the whole thing to the test in 2 months. Today I decided to see if I had enough residual fitness to try a fall marathon. I tested on my 10.7 mile loop. I went out quick with good leg turnover. Long story short, I stayed quick. My final time of 1:06:32 was the fastest time I've ever posted on that loop. However, something else happened on the run. As I became more relaxed about my fitness, I lost my motivation to run a marathon this fall as well. It's been a tough year of training and I'm not mentally ready to go back to long workouts. 75 minutes is long enough for now. 90 if I'm feeling really antsy. Tim wants me to be ready to go in December if I'm serious about breaking 10 hrs for Ironman. I'm thinking I better enjoy life now 'cause there are going to be some long painful work next year.