Sunday, August 10, 2008

Are you watching the Olympics?

Okay if you've followed this blog for a while you've probably guessed that I've always been a fan of Olympic sport. I've talked about the special meaning it has for me to finish Ironman Lake Placid on the speed skating oval in Lake Placid, because that is the same oval where, in 1980, Eric Heiden skated to 5 gold medals.
I'll admit even though I'm hardcore when it comes to this, the last decade or so has really tested my commitment. The summer games especially had become sooo commercial and it seemed the only event that mattered was the men's 100m sprint final. And of course PED (performance enhancing drug) scandals have now tarnished those already less than satisfactory experiences.
Well then I watched the opening ceremonies from Beijing on Friday. Wow. I also realized that I'm hearing nothing about track, almost nothing about basketball, and tons about swimming. Michael Phelps, not LeBron James or Kobe Bryant owns the airwaves. NBC is doing a much better job in the coverage as well. Well execpt for Al Trauwig on gymnastics. Apparently he didn't get the memo that when you're calling an event that really occurred earlier you don't give away the ending. "And then it all went wrong for the American. Watch her vault. Everything seems fine and then it all comes apart on the landing." Thanks Al, can I watch it myself?

I'm back and glued to my TV.

(and while the "story" that everyone is sticking to claims that President Bush was discussing the developments in Georgia with Vladimir Putin, I still think he was taking a food order for the row. "Hey, what's a guy gotta do to get a hotdog around here?" And of course later on, "Who directed this show? Johnny Mo? Doesn't sound Chinese to me? Did he play for the Angels?")