Saturday, April 26, 2008

Still on the road to recovery

I know it's only been 5 days, but this has been a harder week than any week after a marathon in the last 8 years or so. Actually there are some good signs: my overall energy levels are good meaning I did not tap my central nervous system the way I did in October. However, my legs, specifically the Vastus intermedius, are still pretty wrecked. I have been able to ride my bike a bit, but putting pressure down on the pedals causes discomfort. Likewise pushing off the wall while swimming has also been a bit more painful than you'd expect.
The plan is to race again in 4 weeks (might not work out due to family obligations). It's a short race and one at which I've had some success, so it shouldn't be too big a deal. The idea is to get back into the racing groove again before I race "for real" on the first weekend of June. That's a 1/2 iron distance triathlon in New Hampshire and will be an early test of how my prep is coming for Lake Placid.
I did get to pull the kids in the bike trailer again today. Climbing hills with that thing on is an experience, but in general it was fine...if not for that damn burning in my legs! I figure I'll be back to normal sometime next week or maybe next weekend.