Saturday, February 02, 2008

Week 5: Starting the 2nd century

I passed the 100 mile point on the year on January 31. This is my highest mileage January since I started keeping this blog. It was the 2nd run of what will be only a 3 run week. Tomorrow will be my first Ocean Drive run of the year. I'm pretty sure this is the earliest I've run the Drive. The plan is to be conservative and just put in a first time under 2:10. In 2006 I ran 2:10 on the drive in early March, then went on to set my marathon PR (2:58:11) 6 weeks later. I also ran a 2:02 last fall and only managed a 2:59 and change a couple of weeks later, so the time doesn't mean a whole lot other than giving me a general idea how far my base endurance is away from being marathon ready.
I don't feel like I'm in danger of peaking any time soon. I think I'm just a bit better over longer distances; more resilient. Wednesday I did my first honest track workout (I've been running on the track, but hadn't done what I'd call a real track workout). It was 5x3 min. @ faster than 5k pace, with 3 minutes easy jog/walk between repeats. My pace was about 5:36 per mile during the repeats. It was pretty hard, but like last week on the trails, I actually performed better on the later laps despite the general feeling of fatigue coming over me (and the heavy legs and the urge to hurl...). That's what I mean by more resilient than previous years. I'm also lighter than I've been in a long time. I weighed in at 159.5 tonight. I think not swimming and biking has contributed to a loss of muscle mass. I'll be getting back into both soon, so we'll see what happens.
I went for a run Thursday, 7.5 miles at lunch, despite wishing to generally avoid running on consecutive days. A "farewell" lunch at work had killed my normal Tuesday training, so it was run in good weather Thursday despite running on the track Wednesday, or it was run on Friday in potentially foul weather. I fit it in on Thursday as that also gave me 2 days rest before the first 18 miler of the year (tomorrow).
On that note I need to finish up here and get to sleep. I'll be going out after making waffles for the kids tomorrow, and I'll update this post with the results after they're asleep.

Good night all.

3 runs this week: 4.75, 7.5, 18 miles.
Total: 30.25
Ytd: 119.8

**Update**
It didn't come easily to me today, despite near perfect running conditions. I'm a little too sleep deprived right now. Nonetheless I ran a 2:08:26. It was 1:02:50 on the way out and the rest on the way in. Hard to say if that means anything relative to other years because I suspect my improvement curve will be a bit flatter this year. If nothing else it tells me I can afford to be somewhat careful in my preparation because I'm in decent shape. The fade between the 1st and 2nd 1/2 splits, however, tells me I still need to build my base. Next weekend is a full "rest" (yeah, right!) weekend as Leanna will be out of town and I'll have the kids to myself. Oh, and so much for AC/DC running through my head. Today I was stuck with "Just around the river bend." If you don't know this one, it's from "Pocahontas".