Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Good morning Dadda.

The only guarantee I've found with kids is the simple fact that as soon as you settle into a routine, they are going to change it. This morning was a landmark day, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I was sitting having my coffee during "Daddy time", which is that time in the wee hours of the day when everyone else is sleeping. Even though by 6:30 both Dylan and Alexandra might be awake, Dylan is confined to his crib until released, and Alexandra never leaves her bed on her own...until today.
So I'm drinking my coffee when suddenly I here the pitter-patter of little feet coming down the stairs. So I wait for the sound of Leanna following. It's a sound that never comes. Instead Alexandra comes strolling around the corner and into the kitchen and wishes me good morning like this is something totally normal...EXCEPT SHE'S NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE...EVER!
I also have this feeling we won't be able to stop her from doing this, so Leanna and I are now stepping up the program to make her self-sufficient (e.g. putting a full sippie on a shelf in the frig where she can get it on her own). Hey maybe I can teach her to get Dylan and change his diaper!