Sunday, January 20, 2008

Week 3: Not too much, running. A bit more family.

I've had a minor cold and mild bronchitis this week, so only two runs: A 5 miler on Thursday and a 10 miler today. The legs, naturally, felt rested but the fitness just seems so-so. A few consistent weeks will make a big difference.
The 10 miler was different than I have been doing. I did 4 x 2.5 mile loops out at Sachuest Point. I wore my new shoes, the "studded snow tires." I wasn't sure if I'd like them, but once I got running on the frozen crushed stones and dirt their value really showed. Not only were they warm (it was 10 degrees w/the wind chill today), but the traction was amazing. I felt so confident, even when I hit ice, that at times I was able to do some tempo as if it were warm and dry. The trail run got me thinking more and more about doing an ultra marathon as well (the Vermont 50 miler). I kept repeating the phrase, "Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultra."
Hopefully my lungs will be better by Tuesday so I can put in a 30 mile week this week. That will get me back on track.
I've been spending some quality time with the kids as well. Today's big adventure was daddy making waffles from scratch using Alton Brown's basic recipe on FoodNetwork.com. While there was a bit of a learning curve using the just purchased waffle iron, by the end they were coming out pretty well. By the way, I picked waffles because they are one of Alexandra's favorite things, but I wanted a healthier alternative to Eggos. These used whole wheat and some oat flower. Mmmm...good. They stuck with me as well. I made extra so we'll have them during the week along with other healthy items that Alexandra seems to love; Yogurt and granola.

I'm now watching football, relaxing, and hoping that Dylan finally falls asleep for his nap!

2 runs this week: 5 miles, 10 miles.
Total: 15
Ytd: 57.55

**Check this out**
Look at my Jan. 21st mileage from 2006. Eerie.