Saturday, December 22, 2007

Update

Has it been only 4 months? Honestly it seems longer than that. While there are still "moments" in general I think the chaos we call our daily lives is just the new norm.

I am again reminded why I left the private sector (and associated earning potential) for the world of higher ed. I have the next 11 days off from work without using ANY vacation days! In fact the reality of higher ed is that the year functionally ends at Thanksgiving. You see everyone gets over 4 weeks of standard vacation, but can carry at most 2 weeks into the next year. Add to that the fact that you can't use those days after Christmas, because we're closed, and you get lots of people using lots of time in that small period between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Finally add in the fact that in higher ed. nothing is done without complete consensus, and the result: nothing is done between Thanksgiving and the new year because there is never a time when all decision makers are in at the same time.

Today is also the last day of my hiatus from training. It went by really quickly and was pretty nice. Not much weight gain despite drinking a little more than usual (~2 per night, which is unusual for me). I'll begin drying out once we get back from my in-laws. It would be the wrong week to give up drinking!

So the planning phase for next years fairly complete. The goals are frankly monumental, or so they seem: training for Ironman (aiming for 10:20) while being a good daddy and (here's my New Year's resolution) being a better husband. Let me tell you, having kids on its own strains the spousal relationship. When you add in Ironman training, which is the equivalent of a part-time job, well... I do think I can pull it off, but it will leave little room for anything else. However, when considering the cost I decided it was worth it. My life will be comprised of family, work, and training. That's enough. (I am excited for those 5:00am trainer rides to begin again!!!)

Okay, I've gotta go get Dylan. He's "thumping" the side of the crib.

Happy Holidays,

Joel


To my family: Can someone send me Dad's snowshoes if he's not using them?