Sunday, November 25, 2007

Week 44 &45

It looks like my week counter is off a week or so. No doubt the trips to Russia are to blame. Anyway, they still accurately reflect the weeks during which I trained. I did not train in Russia.

So, I put in 3 runs before leaving for Thanksgiving in Pittsburgh: 5 miles, 6 miles, and 7.5 miles. Didn't have much get up and go at all. Still tapped out from the race. I also managed to put in 3 runs the next week (2 in Pittsburgh and 1 in Connecticut): 5.5 miles, 5 miles, 8.5 miles. They went pretty well as my energy levels rebounded. The 5.5 miler was around my brother's plan. 5 laps with 5 hard climbs up a wall. The 5 miler was on a bike path. Gradual up going out and gradual back coming in. I ran the 4th mile in 5:27. Today's 8.5 miler was unexpected. I did not run very hard until the last mile. Nevertheless I put in possibly my best time on the course, which features a ~1.5 mile climb. My initial splits were about the same as other times I've run this loop: ~21 minutes for the first 3 miles. But it has become apparent that my developing strength is not slowing down. I ran smoothly up the climb and then just resumed my pace once the road flattened out. By the time I was near home I realized I could break one hour on the loop, which has maybe happened once. I ran "heavy tempo" (~95%) for the last mile and finished in 58:45. The final mile was probably 5:50ish.

I'm going to push to break 1000 miles for the year. I'm also racing one more time: a 10k December 9th. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Runs: 121
Mileage: 37.5
YTD Mileage: 862.75