Saturday, September 01, 2007

Week 33

Ahh "Daddy Time" also known as 5:00AM! Actually it's now almost 6:00 so I might not get to finish the whole post, depending on when Dylan wakes up.

I wanted to kick start my training this week to ramp up for a 1/2 Ironman in the middle of September. The week started well: 1 hr. bike and 4.3 mile run Sunday (day after landing), 8.5 mile run and 1/2 hour bike Monday, 5 mile run Tuesday. During the Tuesday run I began to feel it: The cold that would end my week and possibly my hopes for the 1/2 Ironman. It's Saturday and I haven't been able to train since. Tomorrow is a possibility because the nose and lungs are clearing, but I'll see how it goes today. If I feel better throughout the day then I'll start tomorrow. If not, I think that's all she wrote. Either way, with two weeks to go the training would take a different approach to what I had intended. I'd start small and slowly build towards race day. No tapering, instead the race would be the first big workout. It means the race plan would be ultra conservative because I'd be on unknown ground. That's how I raced Timberman last year, and that worked out okay.

I want to do this race for selfish ego reasons. I'm in second by a single point in the a year long series for my age group. I had been in first much of the year, but if you've followed this blog at all you'll know why I haven't been racing that much. The guy in first has easily raced twice as many times as I have. This race is the final race of the series. This is my best distance. It's in my home state. I know I can do it. Even sitting here I know I'll be able to do it...if I can just start training again this weekend.

Runs: 80
Mileage: 17.8
YTD Mileage: 523.40