Saturday, September 08, 2007

The heart of the matter

I think we're finally getting to the bottom of things with Alexandra. She has a big fear that we're going to leave her again. Last night she started asking me, "No Mama go away? No Dada go away? No baby Dylan go away?" Our time in Moscow, especially the last time when she was essentially hauled away screaming in my in-law's car, was traumatic for her. Knowing that this is the major issue is somewhat comforting, though, because I know we're not going away again and over time she'll believe that too.

So I've gotten back to marathon training. Bronchitis has ended my triathlon season. It'll be another week at least until I can breath normally. However I can run a a slow pace (8:00-8:30 per mile) without causing too much distress. So I've targeted a fall marathon, the Breaker's Marathon in Newport. It is contested on roads with which I am extremely familiar, so I'm looking to try for a marathon PR (2:58:11 set at Boston, 2006). Of course it all hinges on how quickly my breathing returns to normal, so we'll see.

I'll post the official training update tomorrow, but it looks like I'll hit 30 miles for this week, and will be shooting for 40 next week. That's far above what I've been doing for the past couple of months, so you should see the YTD mileage totals picking up again.