Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Well I did it.

July 20, 2008 I'll be lining up for my third go at Ironman Lake Placid, the last being in 2005. I followed the progress of some friends competing there this past Sunday, and that pretty much sealed it. I have some clear cut goals for the race already, the most important one being to really enjoy the day out there. Despite what I've said in the past, qualifying for Hawaii will not be a stated goal this time around. Should it happen, great! Instead I have specific goals for the various legs of the race. If I do hit those then I've done my best an whatever happens, happens.

While I've enjoyed the short races this year, and will continue to do some, I like the fact that in the long races like Ironman, there are seldom absolutes, as in "I'm on a good day" or "I'm on a bad day". You typically get the full range of experiences in the course of the race and how you handle them dictates how your day will go. It's a great analogy for life. Sprint races are all about absolutes. Either it's good or bad. That seldom happens in real life. And if you've been following this blog, you'd know by now I see my racing and race prep as one giant analogy for life. In many ways the experience is more real than the 9 to 5 work week.

So I'm thinking a NetFlix membership might be in order, because to get the kind of hours in on the trainer that I want to put in, I'm going to go through a lot of movies. By the time I'm up to peak intensity, I'll be able to watch most of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in a single workout.