Sunday, July 29, 2007

Week 29

Ahhh, a moment alone! Alexandra is in her room, and while she's not sleeping, she's not screaming either. The theme this week was beginning to "stretch out" the distances again. I'm finding I miss doing the long stuff, and with my commitment to Ironman Lake Placid next year, I have decided to try and remember how it feels.

I ran three times this week: 8 miles, 7.5 miles, and 10.8 miles. All 3 are well above my average run this year. It's hot and humid so they weren't fast, but that is the beautiful thing about returning to the long stuff right now. Hot days are easier to manage because you get to slow it down a but. For me it's not about how fast I can go, as much as it is how little do I slow down. Today typified this. The total workout today was 2 hours and 45 minutes; one of my longer if not the longest workout of the year. But instead of the one hour 275 watt avg. effort I have been putting in on the bike the last month, it was 90 minutes with a 200 watt avg. Considerably easier. From there I transitioned to a 10.8 mile run, instead of the typical 4.3. If you recall last week I just did those two "brick" workouts. After the one on Sunday (~19 mile bike/4.3 mile run) I was really gassed. It only took a total time of 1 hour 16 minutes, also known as 90 minutes shorter than what I had planned for today. You know, though, knocking off those watts really made all the difference. My run was strong, like it was last year. It really does seem to be that I have a certain amount of stored power and I can let it all out at once, like in a sprint distance race, or dose it out over hours. I really was surprised (and pleased) at how easily the distance came back. Maybe I will race that 1/2 Ironman in September.

Runs: 73
Mileage: 26.3
YTD Mileage: 474.80