Sunday, July 08, 2007

Week 26: What was that all about?!

It was a good week for biking and running, not from a mileage standpoint, but from a repetition standpoint. It was also a good week for hit'n the beer. Hey, it's Independence Day! Last night was no exception: Shepard's Pie and a couple of pints. On tap for today was a maximal effort training ride/run. It was the same course as the "Mock Races" of last year (an one earlier this year), with one exception: I took the steep climb out of the course because my upcoming race has no climbing. Well, I know this loop well so when I looked at my watch I knew this was not the ride I was expecting to have. I typically make the turn-around (1/2 way) in 25:30. Today I came screaming in at 23:45. I turned it around and came back (with a head wind this time) in 24:00 minutes. Throw on a ~26 minute run and I finished in 1:14:37. Dropping the climb makes the course about 3-4 minutes shorter, so even with that time tacked on I finished in under 1:20. That's 3-4 minutes better than I've ever done. I'm sitting here thinking that it was so much faster than the norm, I'd be hard pressed to duplicate the result on race day. Nonetheless, the clock doesn't lie, and on an out and back course the wind is always a factor somewhere, so bottom line: I was really fast today.

It feels good. Next week, assuming we're in the US, I'll be lining up in an Elite wave for the first time in 2 years. My swim will not be good. I know that. However, I think I can probably make up some time over the rest of the course. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Runs: 66
Mileage: 17.0
YTD Mileage: 448.40