Saturday, July 07, 2007

I need a goal

I have a couple unfulfilled goals, but I don't think the time is right for these yet. One of them is qualification for the Hawaiian Ironman. I feel pretty confident that barring bad luck, I am capable of doing this next time out. I need to be 40 minutes faster than my last effort. I figure I have at least 1/2 of that in my running. In fact, my obsessive logging of running and honing technique came about as a result of what I felt was a really weak run at my last Ironman in Lake Placid (2005).
But training for Ironman takes a ton of time, because you need to be good in three disciplines. So I've got this nutty idea. It's one of those "what are you f---'n nuts?" kind of things. Have a look at the Vermont 50. I'd compare it to a long day hiking rather than a running race. Most likely it would take almost as long as an Ironman. I have a feeling my toes would hate me...forever. That said it does fit the bill. You realize of course at some level I do these things precisely because so many other people can't. I've determined at some basic level these challenges meet a need, an affirmation that I am unique and special. Yes I know, intuitively I already know that, but tell that to the little voice...the one that tells me I'm full of crap.

On a side note, I went back and started reviewing posts from 2005, my first full year as a daddy and the last time I did an Ironman. Found this : Lake Placid Finish. Watch the clip, especially seconds 6-22. I also found a comment from another person who is unknown to me. I'm pretty sure I never left a response. Well there is still time to correct that.