Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Get over here, punk!"

In general I try to not be judgmental (stop laughing Leanna). Really. Especially when it comes to parenting. I've been on "the other side" enough now to know the snapshot of parent child interaction one sees out in public just does not tell the whole story, so you just cannot pass judgment...usually.

I was running on the east side of Providence at lunch. On the way back to my office I came upon two women, one older one younger. I'm guessing they were mother and daughter because of the physical resemblance. They also had with them a young boy, maybe Alexandra's age, walking along on his own a few paces behind them. He saw a stone wall which he decided to climb. The daughter, who I am also assuming was the "mother" of the boy, looked backwards and yelled,"Get over here, punk!" She kept on walking ahead while the boy tried to climb the wall. Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess the rest. Boy falls off wall. Boy hits sidewalk. Boy screams (it was the real cry, not the fake one). Mother looks back and rushes to help him. Mother yells, "Serves you right!"

Maybe it was just tough love, right?