Monday, April 02, 2007

What Brown doesn't ask on it's application

I was at the Post Office on the Brown campus today. There was a student in line in front of me struggling to ... assemble a cardboard box. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I stared. It was unbelievable that someone, presumably smart, could make it this far in life without the ability to assemble a "ReadyPost" box. "Hey numb nuts, not that a normal person would even need them, but the instructions are printed on the side!" Something about "step one fold down the short sides, step 2 fold down the long sides, step 3 apply tape liberally to the seams" was too complicated. He folded the sides in the wrong order, he was tearing off these little 2 or 3 inches pieces of tape. Amazing.

The guy at the post office did not offer any advice. I think the entertainment value was just too great.