Sunday, April 29, 2007

Week 17

First 18 miler this year. I had targeted a 2:10 because the longest I had run this year was the hilly 13 miler in CT. I was pleasantly surprised by making the turn at Bretton Point (close to 1/2 way) at 1:01:50. The final time was 2:05:47. I also timed myself over the first and last 4 1/2 mile sections of the course (the same section only in reverse), and I was only 30 seconds slower. It was a good indication that my strength was still good. The main difference over last year's long runs was the fact that I ran more from my quads than my hamstrings. This means my stride was maybe a little long and I was bouncing a little. All-in-all it was not bad and the time was great for a first effort, but I do have some sore toes (jamming my foot into the front of the shoe because of my stride). Also the fact that I'm running so much from my quads right now is consistent with a subpar second run last week. The bike leg takes a bit out of your quads, so if you are relying too much on them for power, you're not going to get all the speed you would before the bike.

Because my run is pretty good right now, I feel comfortable focusing on riding and swimming for a bit here to try and get them up to speed before the 1/2 Ironman on June 3.

Runs: 46
Mileage: 6.5/18
YTD Mileage: 320.60