Sunday, April 22, 2007

Week 16: 1 race, 1 podium

Okay , it was my slowest time in 3 races on this course, on arguably the best day ever from a weather standpoint. Surprisingly most of the time I lost was running. Yes, I do not have the 5k type speed I once had, even with the extra speed sessions. Thank goodness I did those! Compared to 2004, I dropped 40 seconds on the first 3 mile run and another 40 seconds or so on the second run of 2 miles. The big surprise was only dropping 30 seconds on the bike. This was only my third day on the road THIS YEAR! The 2nd day on the road was yesterday. That new trainer that I was uncertain about getting, it is paying off.

**Note about today: I went into the race with the goal of trying to hit the following splits (18 minute, 30 minute, 12 minutes). I also wanted to get a podium place so I could bring home a medal to Alexandra. Ahh, my little muffin. Earlier in the week my friend Tim sent me an e-mail encouraging me to relax about my race results. He said, they may well look like the results of a father, not the results I used to see. But first and foremost you are a Dad. Well boy, never were more true words uttered. Last night, the night before my first race of the year, Alexandra woke up at 2:20AM and came into our room looking for Daddy. She wanted me to sit with her while she went back to sleep. I am a Dad first, so I did not hesitate to go. I never really got back to a sound sleep. So do I think it affected my performance? Absolutely. It probably accounted for much of the time lost (vs. 2004) on the run. I've logged time an again the high correlation between how rested I am, and how fast I run. The various "break through" times recorded in this blog, all came after being thoroughly rested. I am not upset about it, because let's face it, 12th overall and 3rd in my age group is nothing to piss and moan about. On a perfect day, maybe I'm 9th overall and 2nd. However, I'll take the 3rd and a happy little girl please.

I did do some training this last week (week 16 if you are keeping track). 30 minutes on the trainer, 6.5 miles running, and another 30 minutes on the road riding yesterday. Today was 3 miles running, 11 miles biking (in 30 minutes), and another 2 miles running.

Runs: 44
Mileage: 6.5/5.0
YTD Mileage: 297.10