Monday, April 02, 2007

Week 13

Biggest week so far this year. 3 hard mornings on the trainer and 4 runs totally 30 miles. I had dead legs more than once during the week, but they recovered with just a single day off, so I'm pleased with my recovery. Now my weight on the otherhand, it's not what I'd usually like to see this close to racing. 169 pounds, up 4 pounds from Feb. I'm not concerned about the weight per se, just that it means I need to produce greater power to achieve my desired speed. Who knows, maybe I'm gaining weight because I'm gaining muscle. I have been doing a lot more power work on the bike, so perhaps my thighs are getting bigger. I'm not motivated enough to measure them, seems a little over the top!

Speaking of speed, one of the highlights of the week was my track work following my third morning rode of the week. 3 x 400m, with 400m easy between sets. 1:16, 1:13, and 1:10...the first 1:10 I've turned in many years. The other highlight was a good, not great 13+ mile run in Connecticut . What made it notable was not the fact that I ran a 1:33, bettering the January time by 4 minutes, but rather the fact that I ran a 6 minute or faster last mile. That's where this track work seems to be paying off; I have a strong finishing kick now. Let's just hope I get a little faster on the rest of the race to get into the position where a kick matters.

Runs: 36
Mileage: 5/6/6/13
YTD Mileage: 251.75