Saturday, March 10, 2007

Weeks 9 and 10

Week 9 was the week on went on vacation, so it was a short training week. 2 runs. 9 total miles. The most notable part was the set of 400m repeats I did AFTER riding my trainer in the morning. The workout was 4x400m with 200m easy between. The times were 1:11, 1:16, 1:15, 1:15. That's the best set I've done in a long time. I also put in a 35 second 200m sprint.

This week I've run twice so far. 5 miles on the track with a 200m sprint at the end of the workout: 30.85 seconds. The other run was 6.5 miles on the bike path. Nothing too hard. I've been using my HRM to make sure I keep the intensity under control. I have one last run scheduled for the week. I'm not sure if it will be today or tomorrow, but I'm running a 10K test. This is the same loop as week 6. The time to beat is 39:22. I'm racing 10K at the end of the month, and my track speed tells me I'll have a kick, but I haven't been running long lately so I'm curious to see how my overall speed does. I'll be testing with my HRM on with a target in the low to mid 150s.

**Update: Okay lets call that mid to upper 150s, with the last mile and a 1/2 in the 160s. This was not my best run ever. I overcooked it in the beginning, and then ran out of gas. My heart rate was pinned at ~95% and my legs just slowed down. I could not get the turnover going again. No kick at all. While my final time was faster, 39:07, it should have been much better than that. One of the tricks to the HRM is that it really does not give you an accurate picture for HR to effort until you are fully warmed up. For me that's after about 10 minutes. So if I'm running in the 140s during the first 10 minutes, that's probably too hard. On race day I need to make sure the old diesel is running before go time. So we'll see. Two weeks until my first road race of the year. I'd like to match my 10K time from December, but who knows. It's not the end of the world if I don't. This is all about being ready to go by the end of April. However, it is time to get a little more serious again. **

Runs: 26
Mileage: 5/4/5/6.5/6.1
YTD Mileage: 181.35