Saturday, February 17, 2007

Two-on-One

Sure they're small, but they're quick, crafty, and there's two of them and only one of me. I've gone one-on-one, for multiple days in fact, and came out weary but not beaten. This was entirely different, however. They had the numbers...and they knew it! Lay back in a "prevent" defense, and they'd methodically find the seams in the coverage and take me apart. So I did the only thing I could do; I took the game to them.

They put up a good fight, Mia dodging to the left, Alexandra to the right. Mia yelling to put the ball in the basket, Alexandra screaming "SOCCER" as she kicked the black spotted soccer ball across the gym. But eventually even their boundless energy began to wane. Mia was the first to crack, and shortly thereafter Alexandra too hit the tumbling mats. Once I had them down, I was back in charge of the situation.

I prevailed today, but in the back of their minds (and mine) they know that time really is on their side. To prepare for our next go-round, I must continue to train. My stamina is my only hope.