Sunday, January 07, 2007

Week 1

I think I'll probably log training by week this year. I'd like to devote a little more time to other topics as well. This last week was odd. My body is out of whack with the warm weather we're having and clearly it is also confused by the reduced activity. So after I put in my 10 all-purpose miles on Tuesday, I had a rough day on Wednesday. I started getting muscle aches and chills at work and by the time I got home was sure I was coming down with the flu. However after getting about a gallon of fluids into me, including some REALLY SALTY Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup, I started feeling better almost immediately. When I woke up Thursday I felt as if nothing had happened. I've been fine since.

Friday I went for a 4 mile walk instead of a run and Saturday finally put my bike together (it's been in pieces since Clearwater) and rode the trainer for 20 minutes just to make sure everything was working. I also checked to see that my bike worked as well! I have a bit of a dilemma.

Does a 4 mile walk count as run training or cross training or none of the above? Purists would pick option 3. I'm thinking option 2, though option 1 would be ideal. I'm actually sending the question to "Ask Miles" at Runner's World to get their take on it. I'll let you know what they say.

Anyway I'm preparing for a 10.8 mile run right now. It's sunny and 45 degrees right now, so I've got to go out and take advantage of it.

Talk to you later.

**Update**
The run was rough. It took 36 minutes just to find any sort of rhythm. I never really got going well and I'm pretty spent now. Just so you know, however, the fact that it didn't go well doesn't phase me. Tough days happen and anyway it's January 7, not June 7.

The numbers:

Runs: 2
Mileage: 10.8
YTD Mileage: 17.8

Walks: 2
YTD Mileage: 7