Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I feel the earth move under my feet...

Ever run across a bridge that was in the process of being demolished? I did today. Well technically only one span of the old Washington Bridge is being torn down, but tell that to the other span. I was running back to work at lunchtime and the heavy machinery was just going to town. Two big boys side by side. One had a mega-jackhammer attached to the front. The other had the world's largest vice grips. As I got about 1/2 way across the span it began to shake (forced resonance). I actually lost my balance and almost fell down. Wow. Let's just say I sped up a bit and got over the bridge, then kept an ear open for the wrong span collapsing.

One other "Odd"servation. Because of the demolition, the pedestrian foot path under the bridge had been rerouted to an area where they weren't working. Well by the time I had returned the workers had moved down to the area to which they had relocated the foot path. However, they forgot to reroute foot traffic back to the original path. Apparently the woman in the orange vest responsible for directing people had not been kept in the loop as to the movements of the demo. So as she is starting to tell me how to get around the destruction she notices the heavy equipment has been moved onto the site of the relocated foot path. Thus her directions come out as follows:
"You have to go up and around...oh wait, what the f--- are we supposed to do now?!"


The numbers:

6.5 miles (also 4 runs totaling 17.1 listed on previous post)

Terrain: Asphalt

# of Runs: 99
YTD Mileage: 775.67
MTG (Miles to Goal): 224.33
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 7.83
(Yikes, time for some long runs to up that avg!)

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 1082.50
# of Rides: 47
M/RD: 23.03