Saturday, December 30, 2006

Closing out the year

Two runs in CT. this last week; 4.5 miles and 4.4 miles. 7 mile run today back in Middletown. I'm at 800 miles for the year, which is roughly 2 runs and 15 miles per week running. That of course includes all rest time, sickness, etc... so all in all not too bad. I may get out for 2 miles tomorrow to warm-up for a race on Monday (5 miles).

It's nice having the week off from work. It presents a good chance to recharge the batteries, reflect on the past year and plan the next year. I met most of my top goals. I didn't meet my mileage goal (1200 originally). The number was arbitrary so I don't really care. I'd like to see my bike mileage almost double next year and my run mileage stay the same or go up a little. The big goals, breaking the 3 hr marathon and qualifying for (and competing in) the 70.3 World Championships were gratifying. The marathon was the most gratifying because I had been chasing it for so long.

Next year's plans aren't very clear yet. I have a few races in the plans, but no real "goals". Well one: I'd like to win something again. My dream goal would be to have one more overall win in something. It's such a incredible feeling coming into any finish line in any type of event, ahead of everyone else. To experience it one more time would be great.

Santa Claus brought me a new pair of running shoes for Christmas. You don't realize how dead the cushioning is in your shoes until you put on a new pair. Wow, what a difference. It makes sense that the others were dead. I had about 400 miles on each pair. Being lightweight trainers conventional wisdom says that they are good for about 300 miles, so yes they were overdue for replacing.

Finally, I was thinking about a lacrosse coach in high school, "Scary" Larry Piatelli. For the most part I don't have many fond memories of him. Doing some research I learned he passed away of a heart attack in 2003, about 6 months after becoming Head Master of Berkshire School. He was playing hockey, his passion, in a rec league in Albany, N.Y. Oddly, once I learned of his untimely death I realized that for all the negative sentiment I had towards him, I didn't want to see him pass away. And, seeing his age and doing the math, I realized he was only late 20s early 30s when we were at Kent. I was far from perfect in my 20s and early 30s as well, so I've decided to give him a posthumous mulligan on some things. I've also decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he was, in his way, just trying to get me to strive for excellence. After all, this is the guy who one day during practice declared that "pound for pound" I was the toughest guy on the team. A bit of a backhanded compliment given that he frequently made fun of my thin runner's build, but a compliment nonetheless.

So farewell to 2006. I learned much this year and will remember you fondly as I strive to relegate you to "yet another year" instead of allow you to exist as "the best year yet."


The numbers

Terrain: Asphalt

# of Runs: 104
YTD Mileage: 800.07
MTG (Miles to Goal): 199.93
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 7.69

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 1082.50
# of Rides: 47
M/RD: 23.03