Friday, October 27, 2006

What are we teaching people these days?

I'm stunned. A fellow at work had been waiting for some mailing labels to come in. The person who ordered them dropped by to say that they had finally arrived (after ~ 3 weeks). It's be almost comical how hard it's been to get "standard" address labels sent to us. So when they arrived I sent this fellow an e-mail with the subject line "The new phone books are here!" Then I told him the labels had arrived. Well he responded by saying that was great news about the labels, but the subject line didn't make sense to him. What? Are you kidding me?!! What's next, you've never heard that crossing the streams would be bad?!! Talk to me Goose! Maverick's buggin' out! Hey bud, what's your problem?

And I don't buy that Generation Gap crap. I wasn't alive in the 50s and early 60s and yet I still know that Ward was frequently hard on the Beaver. I know the professor didn't want to get off the damn island because he'd never be that close to two babes again in his life. And of course thought of having my own Jeannie made me want to be an astronaut too! I might have nothin', but sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

We're talking about a piece of Americana, the essence of what it is to be an American. It's what lifts us above the French, dammit! You're a slacker McFly!

On the other hand, maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe it was a dream, you know, a very weird, bizzare, vivid, erotic, wet, detailed dream. Maybe (I) have malaria.

Well, got go. Princeton could use a man like Joel.