Sunday, October 29, 2006

Training Log Entry #85: Windy enough for you?

Call me cowardly, but I didn't ride my bike on the road today. Instead I put in 1:05 on the trainer before hitting the road for a 10k run. While I can easily rationalize my decision as the "sensible thing to do" for my race prep (the plan did call for race pace tempo riding), in truth I was scared off my the thought of downed branches, standing water, and gusts 40 - 60 mph. I'm not 20 any more, and I'd like to think I've learned a few smarts since then. A crash now would really put a damper on the whole race experience, if you know what I mean. So I put in a good solid effort on the trainer, which is no mean feat. Staring at the cellar walls is mentally quite taxing. It also puts a hurting on the major muscles because you don't get to move and shift position on the bike the way you do on the road. So all in all the ride was a proper effort for the plan, and the run was quite encouraging. 39:13.

The numbers

6.1 miles running/20 miles riding

Terrain: asphalt/trainer

Run:
# of Runs: 85
YTD Mileage: 694.67
MTG (Miles to Goal): 305.33
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.17

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 1007.50
# of Rides: 45
M/RD: 22.38