Sunday, October 08, 2006

Training Log Entry #80

This was one of my shortest runs of the year. However, it was on the indoor track at Brown, so distance wassn't really the objective. 3.5 miles (on an 1/8th of a mile track) with 5 x 400m at faster than 5k pace with a 200m jog between repeats. You'd think a rubberized track would be easy on the joints. I find it just the opposite. Sure you aren't pounding as hard, but the increased grip of the surface combined with running tight corners at full speed always leave my knees and ankles in a funk. My left knee is a little tender now, but not so bad a few Advil won't take care of it.

The set itself went well, and overall I'm pretty pleased with the way my form is returning. My swimming is very efficient if not overly fast (I got in such a zone that I totally lost track of how many laps I had done, and went ~250 - 300 yds further than I had planned), my running form feels good with my turnover getting quicker again, and my legs feeling lively. And my cycling, as evidenced today, is as good if not better than it has been all year. I went hard for 51 miles today (same three loops as last week, but no breaks between), and completed the course in 2:21, much faster than last week. Yes a lack of wind helped (I was riding in a gale last week...literally), but it was more than that. I'm getting comfortable with my new lower/narrower position and the position is fast. I know my aerodynamics have improved because there is no longer any air getting onto my chest. With a starting temperature of 45 degrees this morning, it was very obvious by the cold chill when the air was getting through and when it wasn't.

I also put in 30 minutes (9 miles) of trainer time on Tuesday.

With one month until race day, I'm cautiously optimistic for a good race.

The numbers

3.5 miles running/60 miles riding

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
# of Runs: 80
YTD Mileage: 655.27
MTG (Miles to Goal): 344.73
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.19

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 894.50
# of Rides: 38
M/RD: 23.54