Sunday, October 01, 2006

Training Log Entry #79

Today it was all work. It was raining and windy as hell, and I had scheduled a big (4+ hour) workout. Add to that the fact that being only 6 weeks away from race day, there are no more mulligans on the workouts. It's get out there and do it as planned. The plan called for 3 x 17 miles (on one hour) on my Triathlon bike. That means the gap between when I finish and when I start riding the loop again is equal to the amount of time I finish before 1 hour is up. For the most part I was finishing in about 50 minutes, meaning I got a 10 minute bathroom/refill the water bottle break every lap. Let me tell you, the breaks don't make the workout easier. On the second lap it felt like there was hail coming down, stinging my face and really just sucking. The wind was off the charts as well.

As if those 51 miles weren't enough, I threw in the 10.8 mile run as well. It felt all right, but I was really exhausted. I think I ran 1:12 - 1:15, though, which is pretty good considering the effort of the ride.

So why? Even from a pure training standpoint this workout was probably too big. I think it's because mentally I needed some sort of affirmation that I was still good; still tough. Because of all the slack I've cut myself in the last couple of weeks, doubt had begun to creep in. I wasn't sure if I would be able to muster the drive to race hard in Clearwater, and frankly given the cost, it's not worth making the trip if I was just going to go through the motions. I needed to know I could still suffer, still push even when it hurt like hell. Today hurt like hell and I just kept going. Almost every part of me wanted to stop, wanted to at least walk a bit. Given the weather there was almost nobody else out there either so it was also lonely as hell. But I just kept hammering. At the end there was no elation, just simple relief.

The numbers

10.8 miles running/51 miles riding

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
# of Runs: 79
YTD Mileage: 651.77
MTG (Miles to Goal): 348.23
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.25

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 834.50
# of Rides: 36
M/RD: 23.18