Saturday, September 09, 2006

Training Log Entries #72 & #73 + Some racing news

I went for a 4.3 mile early morning run Thurs. Not too fast, not too slow. A typical morning run. They are always a bit slower than later in the day. Friday was another swim. Third of the week (a new record!). Saturday I rana again, only 6 miles (8.5 cut short). I was a bit tapped out from the week. Not from training, just from everything else. I had that "I need sleep feeling" the whole way. And because I was doing the swim leg of a 1/2 Iron relay on Sunday (today), I didn't force myself to finish the whole run.

Today was my return to racing in the Ocean. Boy I love the ocean more than lakes. Clearwater is in the Gulf, so more saltwater...Yeah. The swim was not great but okay. I did swim really hard, though, and that will prove to be a good thing. My navigation kind of sucked. It probably cost me a 100 meters or more, and even though the swim was 2000, that 100 extra makes a difference. That's 1:30 to 1:45 more swimming than I had planned on in waves and current. That's enough to drop me quite a bit in the swim rankings. That's why you do training events, though, because I know that I have to work on my navigation. There was only one race this year, Old Colony (International Distance w/1 mile swim), where I had a pretty decent swim split, and I know I hugged the inside of the course on that one. So yes, navigation is huge and is a big area that I need to address.

Finally it's time to retire my wetsuit. Purchased in 2002, it is probably a liability now. There have been some nice advances in wetsuits since then, including more flexible panels in the back to reduce the pressure on the chest. It makes breathing easier thus saving you energy. My wetsuit is really tight up top. Also, it has developed some holes in the seams which are allowing too much water in. It was really obvious today in the colder water of the Atlantic. I felt like I was wearing a parachute. Every stroke I felt a cold pulse of water coming into the suit. In the words of Alexandra, bye-bye wetsuit. I'll probably wait until next year, unless I can get a nice end of year closeout, because I'm flat broke right now, and I'm pretty sure Clearwater will not be premitting wetsuits (the cutoff is a water temp of 78 degrees).

So that's my update. I've got work to do, but frankly feel pretty relaxed.

The numbers:

4.3 miles and 6.0 run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
# of Runs: 73
YTD Mileage: 607.47
MTG (Miles to Goal): 392.53
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.32

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 735.50
# of Rides: 29
M/RD: 25.36