Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Training Log Entry #70: Some "Odd"servations

I'm in the middle of my break, which actually does not mean no activity. It means the emphasis is on enjoyment. No 3 or 4 workouts in 2 days. No speed work. You get the picture. So I ran at lunch today with a goal of observing the denizens of Providence. Does anyone else find middle-aged women in mini-skirts and Go-go boots disturbing? I also encountered a group of guys chatting about their work at lunchtime. Yeah I'm no fan of my job or field of endeavor, but I realized it could be worse. Thank god I'm not sitting on a bench swapping paint chipping stories at lunch! Then there was the woman who was making noises at me. I guess it was some form of verbal communication, likely intended to denegrate me in some fashion, but given that she was 5'4" 280 lbs, had to stop every block or two to catch her breath, and looked like a beauty school drop out, I didn't take it to heart. Hey, at least she was out there walking, so good for her. Now if she could just work on that diction...

On a different note, I've begun preparing for my return to serious training. To this end caffeine is largely out of the diet except for two cups of 1/2 caff. coffee in the morning. Also going bye-bye is "whitey", processed sugar. And for the most part products made with either high fructose corn syrup or white flour are also out. The net effect desired is a leveling out of my energy levels. Frankly it is astounding how quickly the benefit is realized. It's so nice to smooth out those peaks and valleys that I doubt I'll miss them too much (though a Coke would be tasty right about now!).

Next week begins the real prep. 4 weeks of base and strength building, and 6 weeks (2 x 3 week cycles) of speed and race prep. I'm hopeful it'll be enough, but not too much. Stay tuned to find out.

The numbers:

5 miles

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
# of Runs: 70
YTD Mileage: 588.67
MTG (Miles to Goal): 411.33
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.41

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 699.50
# of Rides: 28
M/RD: 25