Thursday, August 10, 2006

Training Log Entry #65: Two Moons Setting

Dawn patrol on consecutive mornings. Yesterday on the bike. Today on foot. 20 miles riding. 8.4 miles running. The first day I was a bit groggy and it was hard to get going, but today was much easier. That's not to say I want to go out again tomorrow! I do need to get some sleep. It's been a bad work week and I'm drained. So much for getting back in the groove before Timberman. I'll get out a couple of times this weekend because I have a three day weekend coming up, but we're also putting in hardwood floors, so I can't say as I'll be getting real quality workouts in.

Two things jump out at me with regards to these early morning workouts. The first is that I'm much slower. The body isn't awake let alone loose, so the first bit is slo-o-o-w. Even during the run, though my head was fairly clear, the body was not going. The second thing (a bit more philosophical) is the realization that there still is a whole big world out there. Take away cars and people, and add in animals and there is quite a bit going on out there. It gave me an entirely different perspective on the commute into work. All these people hurrying, cutting each other off, thinking they are moving towards something, when in reality they are moving away from what's important.

The numbers:

20 mile ride (Wed)/8.4 mile run(Thu)

Terrain: Asphalt/Trail

Run:
# of Runs: 65
YTD Mileage: 550.47
MTG (Miles to Goal): 449.53
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.47

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 613.50
# of Rides: 25
M/RD: 24.54