Saturday, August 19, 2006

Quietly off to the races

I'm off to the Timberman 70.3 (1/2 Ironman) Triathlon in a matter of minutes. It's a qualifier for the 70.3 World Championships in November and I think I have a shot at qualifying. I wasn't so sure because of distractions at work, lots of missed training sessions, etc... but then I took a look at last year's results. They told me that the competition is very tough, but so is the course, especially the run. I saw times of friends which were about 5 - 7 minutes slower than the times they normally run. I'm only confident in one discipline right now, but thankfully that's my running, especially on a tough course. I haven't done speedwork in a long time, so I'd get crushed in a flat "track meet". However, throw in the hills and I think I'm good. I could be wrong, though, and we'll find out tomorrow.

I've been reading Dean Karnazes "Ultramarathon Man," and I can relate to much of what he writes. It's as if we live dual lives. The vast majority of our co-workers have no idea what we do or how serious we are about it (that's surely changed for him now). When asked the question, "What are you doing this weekend?" I replied," Going to a race in NH." "Oh that's nice." I'm not into tooting my own horn, so I don't say "Going to the regional qualifier for the 1/2 Iron World Championships. Oh and I might actually make it." Frankly they would probably be more interested if I was taking on Kobayashi in a hot dog eating contest!

So now I'm quietly off to the races. Hopefully my 'A' and 'B' samples will be clean of synthetic hormones. I used large quantities of red wine as a masking agent for the testosterone and HGH found in my non-organic burrito. 8:30 AM Monday it will be back to turning out those TPS reports using the new cover sheet (I got the memo), and only I will know or care if I have travel plans to race against some of the world's best 40-44 year olds in November.

Cheers gang,

Joel