Saturday, July 15, 2006

Training Log Entry #59: It's not the heat it's the humidity...

...and did I mention the heat?

Okay, I'm clearly not being as diligent about this log. It seems to coincide with the lower trainin volume I'm currently doing. The lower volume was not on the plan, but it's just that I don't seem to be recovering as well or sleeping as well. I think it has to do with the weather and work. No matter. I am getting a few workouts in each week and I have the confidence gained by the mock races that I am improving. My base fitness probably needs to be addressed soon, however.

I ran 5 miles on Thursday to workout the cobwebs from this week, a taper week. I'm racing an international distance triathlon tomorrow (1 mile/24 miles/6 miles). The run was pretty good, much better than the last Thursday run. I did get soaked by a torrential downpour on the second 1/2 of the run, but it wasn't that bad. If it wasn't for the guy at work monopolizing our only shower (I had to stand soaking wet in the air conditioning for 15 minutes while this guy "dressed for the prom"), it would have bee a great day. I was a little flat, but not bad.

I also got into the pool 3 times this week. No long swims because I was trying to recover. I just wanted to get my shoulders loose and a good comfort level back in the pool. I'm not fast, but I think I'll be okay. My swim rank tomorrow will tell me more. Regardless, it's a nice way to cross-train when it's hot out (according to my car thermometer it was over 90 degrees in Providence yesterday).

I didn't ride at all this week, but I think I'll be okay. Tomorrow's course is dead flat, and I think the rest did me as much good as additional training. Logistically it is still hard for me to figure out a good taper when I'm training in 3 disciplines. You don't want to get too stale. Typically your told to drop the running the soonest, because it has the most impact on your body, but I find that I'm less apt to get "flat" on the bike after a short layoff, than running, and my running rhythm is critical to my race. Even in my mock races, while I was looking for improvement in my bike time, it was important that I didn't see my run speed going away.

The numbers:

5 miles

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 494.07
MTG (Miles to Goal): 505.93
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.37

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 499.50
# of Rides: 20
M/RD: 24.98