Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm not the same triathlete I used to be...

When I used to race, I would try to get myself ready for suffering by conjuring up memories from highschool/college. Music always played a big part. I'd get a song in my head that brought the emotions to the forefront. Tunes like "Self Esteem" by Offspring would get me ready for the pain. Today, while I was running, I had the theme to the Fisher-Price Little People in my head! "We're Little People, making lots of friends..." Uh boy!

Even so, those little people drove Gaga (that's Alexandra's name for me) to his best triathlon finish in 2 years; 12th overall and second in my age group (40-44). Given my struggles in New Hampshire 6 or 7 weeks ago, I'll take this result any day. My splits were also comparable to the past, and if you take into account my starting in the last wave of people instead of the first, I'm probably just about as fast as 2004, with more upside. This very race two years ago was my high water mark. The ankle, etc..., began to break down. This time I feel like I'm on the upswing. Now if only work can have the same kind of turn around!

The numbers:

1 mile swim/24 mile bike/6.5 mile run

Terrain: Asphalt

Run:
YTD Mileage: 500.57
MTG (Miles to Goal): 499.43
M/R (Miles per run avg.): 8.34

Bike:
YTD Mileage: 523.50
# of Rides: 21
M/RD: 24.92